An easy whole wheat bread machine recipe that has the rich flavour of whole wheat, the delicate sweetness of honey, and the soft fluffiness of white sandwich bread. This irresistible homemade honey whole wheat bread is simply the best.
As I stood in my kitchen on Sunday night, trying vigorously to warm my frozen fingers, panic set in. I couldn’t find any in the cupboard and an exhaustive search of the deep freeze turned up nothing.
So here’s the problem: that night, I realized I forgot to buy bread.
Normally that’s not a big deal.
Tonight it was.
My son Zen requested his favourite: cucumber and cheese sandwich. He would not be swayed, he’s stubborn like his father.
You know, maybe he got some of that stubbornness from his mother too. I was determined to give him that sammy because he’s cute, and I love him. I whipped up a batch of my favourite whole wheat bread machine recipe, in no time flat.
This whole wheat bread recipe is dedicated to Zenen and cucumber sandwiches!
This Whole Wheat Bread Machine Recipe is ready in 5 easy steps:
- Add ingredients to the loaf pan in the order listed.
- Pop it in the bread maker.
- Choose the correct setting.
- Drink coffee and wait.
- Fight your family for the first slice.
A NOTE ON FLOUR:
CANADIAN flour is different than American flour. By law, Canadian flour is bound to have at least 13% protein content and this can cause discrepancies between my recipes and your results if you are using American flour, which doesn’t have a protein requirement.
Canadian flour is the first and still the greatest Canadian success story. Canadian wheat makes the finest flour in the world, bar none. Despite everything that is said about bread vs cake vs pastry flour, somehow magically Canadian all-purpose flour basically handles all those tasks effortlessly. Canadian home cooks and home bakers, in general, don’t really experiment with different types of flour — if you say flour in Canada, it means all-purpose, end of story. Here apparently is the breakdown of Canadian all-purpose flour: 73.0% carbohydrates; 13.0% protein; 14.0% moisture (including 1.0% fats.)https://www.cooksinfo.com/flour#ixzz2Ty9igK8t
Now that we know the differences between flour nationalities, I recommend anyone using American made flour to use Bread flour – I linked to two flours that passed the protein test in the recipe card – or any flour with 12-13% protein.
HOW TO MEASURE PROTEIN CONTENT IN YOUR FLOUR:
The easiest way is to look at the nutrition label and do some quick math!
Grams of Protein / Grams per Serving = _________ X 100 = ______%
In this image, the protein percentage of the flour is: 4/30=.1333 = 13.3%
HERES WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THIS HONEY WHOLE WHEAT BREAD MACHINE RECIPE:
- USE local honey. Supporting your local economy is good, but the best reason for buying local honey is that the flavour and freshness can’t be beaten.
- THIS recipe mixes whole wheat and all-purpose unbleached flour – I found it gives a perfect mix between fluffy white bread and the flavour and heartiness of whole wheat bread.
- 1.5 LBS – this recipe is for a 1.5lb loaf of bread. Please ensure your machine has the capacity to handle a 1.5lb loaf!
- MY family LOVES when I bake bread, and they all show up like little bloodhounds sniffing the air as the bake cycle comes to an end.
If you love bread, you should check out my other awesome bread recipes:
Adapting this whole wheat bread recipe for your bread machine:
Every machine has it’s quirks and has a ratio it likes best. This recipe is perfect in my machine, and with the tips in the Flour section above, it should be in your machine too.
That said, take a peek at your dough during the first kneading cycle – 10 or so minutes in. The dough should be smooth and forming a nice ball.
If the dough is sticky, you may need more flour (or to check the Note On Flour Section above).
If the dough is lumpy and shaggy, then you may need more liquid.
Are we friends on Pinterest?
An easy whole wheat bread machine recipe has the rich flavour of whole wheat, the delicate sweetness of honey, and the soft fluffiness of white sandwich bread. This irresistible homemade honey whole wheat bread is simply the best.
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 tbsp butter, cubed
- 1 tsp Himalayan salt
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached flour *see notes above
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp bread machine yeast
- Add warm water, butter, salt and honey to the baking basket of your bread machine.
- Add flour, and sprinkle yeast on top of the flour.
- Return baking basket to bread machine.
- Set to desired whole wheat setting - I usually use Bake Rapid - Whole Wheat - 1.5lbs - Medium Crust.
- Allow bread to cool before cutting.
*IF you do not use Canadian flour, please please take a quick look at the information above under the A NOTE ON FLOUR heading.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 165 Total Fat: 3g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 1g Cholesterol: 6mg Sodium: 253mg Carbohydrates: 31g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 4g Protein: 5g