This white bread machine recipe is made with unbleached all-purpose flour! You’ll love this bread recipe cause it’s perfect sandwiches and toast alike!
There’s no arguing it, she’s 100% the best at baking homemade bread. Sometimes, if we’re lucky, she calls on Sunday morning and says “Come for lunch, I’m making soup and fresh buns!”
We all squeal with delight and skip breakfast. (I mean, I DO!)
Me, on the other hand? It’s not one of my skills. She’s handed down her recipe to me, tried to teach me, gave up teaching me, then taught my husband instead.
We’ve all decided that mom’s bread recipe will live on with Kevin. I am just not good! Haha
What’s a carb-loving girl to do? Buy a bread maker! Fake it till you make it, am I right?
This bread recipe is also my moms but adapted for the bread machine. She tweaked it for me because I like her recipe and it’s easy to make bread in a machine!
If I can do it, YOU can do it!
We always fight over the crust part in this house, isn’t that strange – store-bought bread is so ho-hum, no one wants the crust piece, but with the best bread maker recipe, there’s always a little bit of a tussle over who gets the end.
What do you call the holy grail slice of bread?
Here’s what you need to know about this bread machine recipe:
HOMEMADE bread doesn’t keep long. It doesn’t keep any better in the fridge either. We often cut our loaves in half and freeze half and keep the remainder out on the counter. Freezing as soon as the bread has been cut and cooled usually gives me better results.
2LB. bread recipe. That’s the size of loaf this breadmaker recipe makes. Please make sure your machine has a 2 lb loaf capacity!
DEFINITELY use bread machine yeast, it’s got smaller granules which allow the yeast to be hydrated more quickly and also rises in less time than active dry yeast.
IN my humble, but bread-loving, opinion this is one of the best bread machine recipes out there.
Tips & Tricks For This Bread Recipe:
USE a flour scoop to scoop your bread flour into the measuring cup then the back of a knife to level off. This gives more consistent results from loaf to loaf. Do not sift!
SPRINKLE the yeast on top of the dry ingredients, or, if you’re old school, make a well and place the yeast in the well. This is the last ingredient!
START with 1 3/4 cups of water. It really depends on your flour and some flours don’t like 2 cups of water. The first time you make this, I recommend adding 1 3/4 cup of water and then checking the dough during the first mixing cycle.
Flour can vary greatly in the protein content which can and will wreak havoc on your bread!
A word on flour:
As a Canadian, I use purpose flour for literally all purposes. Like, I am LOW maintenance when it comes to ingredients in this house. I use unbleached all-purpose flour for everything I can. This 2lb bread machine recipe uses Canadian All Purpose flour.
- CANADIAN flour is different than American flour!
- The protein content in Canadian flour is required by law to have at least 13% protein by weight.
- The protein content of the flour greatly affects the bread’s ability to absorb water, and therefore, your final results.
- IF you are using American flour, please use Bread flour specifically – OR ensure that your flour passes the protein content test 12-13%
- You can find some options for flour here, and here.
TO FIND PROTEIN CONTENT IN YOUR FLOUR:
Simply do a little math – make your teachers proud!
Grams Of Protein /
Grams Per Serving = _______
________ X 100 = _________ %
.1333 x 100= 13.3%
Love bread? Check out my other yummy bread machine recipes!
Let’s connect: Follow me on Pinterest <3
This white bread machine recipe is so easy and tasty! You'll love it cause it's healthy and perfect for sandwiches and toast alike!
- 1 3/4-2 cups warm water
- 1 1/2 tsp sweetener , - I've used honey, organic cane sugar, agave, maple syrup
- 1 tsp salt
- 2-3 tbsp oil - coconut, olive, canola - whatever you have on hand
- 4 cups all purpose flour - SEE NOTES ON FLOUR!
- 2 tsp bread machine yeast
- Add all ingredients into bread maker pan, in that order, being sure to sprinkle the yeast on top.
- Set to bake, or bake sandwich - whatever you like.
- Walk away. Drink a coffee, read a book, watch Netflix.
- When bread machine beeps done, remove loaf pan and turn out onto a tea towel. Stand your loaf upright and allow to cool at least for a bit before you dive in!
* This bread recipe makes a 2 LB loaf. Please double check that your bread machine has a 2 LB capacity before making this recipe!
*When measuring flour, I use the scoop and level method - Using a flour scoop to fill a measuring cup, then level with the back of a knife. Don't sift the flour first! Consistent measuring is definitely important in consistency between loaf to loaf!
*I've edited the amount of water in this recipe from 2 cups to 1 3/4 to 2 cups. I've gotten some feedback that this results in a pretty wet dough, I've not had that problem in either of my bread machines, which likely due to the protein level of everyone's flour. Please check the notes above in the "A Word On Flour" section OR start with the lesser amount of water and keep an eye on the bread as it mixes and you'll know if you need more.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 359 Total Fat: 11g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 8g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 265mg Carbohydrates: 57g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 7g Protein: 7g