This white bread machine recipe is made with unbleached all-purpose flour! You’ll love this bread recipe cause it’s perfect sandwiches or toast and in our humble opinion, it’s one of the best bread machine recipes ever.
There’s no arguing it, she’s 100% the best at baking homemade bread. Sometimes, if we’re lucky, she calls on Sunday morning and says “Come for lunch, I’m making soup and fresh buns!”
We all squeal with delight and skip breakfast. (I mean, I DO!)
Me, on the other hand? It’s not one of my skills. She’s handed down her recipe to me, tried to teach me, gave up teaching me, then taught my husband instead.
We’ve all decided that mom’s bread recipe will live on with Kevin. I am just not good! Haha
What’s a carb-loving girl to do? Buy a bread maker! Fake it till you make it, am I right?
This bread recipe is also my mom’s but adapted for the bread machine. She tweaked it for me because I like her recipe and it’s easy to make bread in a machine!
This recipe is dedicated to faking it till you make it!
IN my humble, but bread-loving, opinion this is one of the best bread machine recipes for white bread out there.
Tips + tricks
No. 1 –> 2 lb bread recipe. That’s the size of loaf this breadmaker recipe makes. Please make sure your bread machine has a 2 lb loaf capacity!
No. 2 –> Check out the information below on the protein content of your flour! It can greatly affect your end result.
No. 3 –> Definitely use bread machine yeast, it’s got smaller granules which allow the yeast to be hydrated more quickly and also rises in less time than active dry yeast.
No. 4 –> Start with 1 3/4 cups of water. It really depends on your flour and some flours don’t like 2 cups of water. The first time you make this, I recommend adding 1 3/4 cup of water and then checking the dough during the first mixing cycle.
Baking bread is a science, so it’s important to keep an eye on your experiment – at least the first time!
No. 5 –> Scoop the flour from the bag into your measuring cup but do not sift!
- warm water
- sweetener (sugar, honey, maple syrup etc)
How to make
- Add the wet ingredients to the bread machine pan.
- Add the salt and sweetener to the wet ingredients.
- Add the flour to the pan, sprinkling it overtop all of the water.
- Either sprinkle the yeast on top of the flour, where it’s not touching the water or create a well in the flour, then add the yeast there.
- Place baking pan in the bread maker and select cycle.
- Wait for bread to finish baking, then remove to cool before slicing.
A word on flour:
As a Canadian, I use purpose flour for literally all purposes. Here’s why it matters to you:
- CANADIAN flour is different than American flour!
- The protein content in Canadian flour is required by law to have at least 13% protein by weight.
- The protein content of the flour greatly affects the bread’s ability to absorb water, and therefore, your final results.
- IF you are using American flour, please use Bread flour specifically – OR ensure that your flour passes the protein content test 12-13%
How to determine protein content in flour:
Simply do a little math – make your teachers proud!
Grams Of Protein /
Grams Per Serving = _______
________ X 100 = _________ %
.1333 x 100= 13.3%
How to store:
Homemade bread doesn’t keep long. It doesn’t keep any better in the fridge either. We often cut our loaves in half and freeze half and keep the remainder out on the counter. Freezing as soon as the bread has been cut and cooled usually gives me better results.
Try a bread box!
Ya’ll we can’t have a bread machine recipe without a bread machine!
Here’s the one that I have and I have NO problems recommending it to anyone else. I love all the different features and settings on my Breville Custom Loaf. But most of all, I love love love that it makes a perfect loaf of bread!
Other bread machine recipes you might love!
Are we friends on Pinterest?
LOVE THIS RECIPE?
This white bread machine recipe is so easy and tasty! You'll love it cause it's healthy and perfect for sandwiches and toast alike!
- 1 3/4-2 cups warm water
- 1 1/2 tsp sweetener , - I've used honey, organic cane sugar, agave, maple syrup
- 1 tsp salt
- 2-3 tbsp oil - coconut, olive, canola - whatever you have on hand
- 4 cups all purpose flour - SEE NOTES ON FLOUR!
- 2 tsp bread machine yeast
- Add all ingredients into bread maker pan, in that order, being sure to sprinkle the yeast on top.
- Set to bake, or bake sandwich - whatever you like.
- Walk away. Drink a coffee, read a book, watch Netflix.
- When bread machine beeps done, remove loaf pan and turn out onto a tea towel. Stand your loaf upright and allow to cool at least for a bit before you dive in!
* This bread recipe makes a 2 LB loaf. Please double check that your bread machine has a 2 LB capacity before making this recipe!
*When measuring flour, I use the scoop and level method - Using a flour scoop to fill a measuring cup, then level with the back of a knife. Don't sift the flour first! Consistent measuring is definitely important in consistency between loaf to loaf!
*I've edited the amount of water in this recipe from 2 cups to 1 3/4 to 2 cups. I've gotten some feedback that this results in a pretty wet dough, I've not had that problem in either of my bread machines, which likely due to the protein level of everyone's flour. Please check the notes above in the "A Word On Flour" section OR start with the lesser amount of water and keep an eye on the bread as it mixes and you'll know if you need more.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 359Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 265mgCarbohydrates: 57gFiber: 3gSugar: 7gProtein: 7g