Bar snack blondies combine sweet and salty flavours for a decadent treat. They've got a vanilla cookie base, and are filled with chocolate chunks, roasted peanuts, and salty pretzel sticks.
The first day I baked these blondies, Kevy walked in the house from doing yard work, looked over at me in my office, and started talking about the trees or something, and then abruptly stopped and veered toward the kitchen.
It was like he was drawn in by a magnet. (Obviously, they smelled freaking amazing)
By the time I got in there to give him grief and tell him paws off, he already had the oven open and was peering in with saucer plate eyes.
I'm pretty sure he married me for my homemade Oreos, but these might have renewed our vows.
This recipe is dedicated to his heart.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Tips + tricks
No. 1 --> It sounds weird, but trust me on chilling the dough before baking these bar snack blondies. Chilling the dough for at least 30 minutes allows everything to absorb a little extra moisture, and dries out the dough a bit. This promotes a chewier texture with crispier edges.
No. 2 --> When breaking up the pretzel sticks, don't overly crush them. I aim for a couple breaks per stick. They will break up a bit more when stirring and when you're pressing the dough into the pan. Personally, I like my add ins to be in decent sized chunks!
No. 3 --> I used a mix of light brown sugar and granulated sugar, you can play around with those. I avoided dark brown sugar fearing that it would lend too much of a molasses flavor to the blondie when I really wanted a more caramel/butterscotch flavor.
- light brown sugar
- granulated sugar
- vanilla extract (you can make your own vanilla extract!)
- baking soda
- semi-sweet chocolate chunks
- pretzel sticks
- roasted peanuts
How to make
- Prepare a 9X13 baking dish by lining with parchment paper, leaving the sides overlapping, and brushing with butter or spraying with cooking spray.
- Beat the butter and both sugars until light and fluffy, then beat in the eggs one at a time, followed by the vanilla.
- Whisk the flour, baking soda, and salt together, before adding it into the wet ingredients, and stir until combined, at this point, we want to avoid over-mixing, mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chunks and peanuts, then fold in the pretzels.
- Press the dough into the prepared baking dish.
- Chill the dough in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350f.
- Once the dough is done chilling, press a few more pretzel sticks into the top of the batter.
- Bake the blondies for 40-45 minutes at 350f, until the top is set and the edges are nicely browned. The centre may look undercooked, but it will continue to cook while the blondies are resting. A toothpick inserted into the middle should come out clean or with a few crumbs on it.
- Cool the blondies in the baking pan on a wire rack for at least 1 hour before slicing.
It's nearly impossible to beat sugar and butter together without a good mixer! I love my Kitchen Aid stand mixer for that job. (I took photos in a bowl, but I used my mixer to cream the butter and sugar haha)
Glass 9X13 baking dish
Any 9X13 baking dish will work for this recipe, I love to use a glass one for this kind of recipe, though!
Too many blondies!
As much as my heart says that you can never have too many blondies, I know the reality is that it's better to save some for later!
These blondies can be kept in a cookie jar or other air tight container on the counter for 3 days, or in a freezer zip lock bag for up to 3 months. (If they last that long!)
Love sweet treats?
These will tickle your sweet tooth for sure!
LOVE THIS RECIPE?
Use the stars in the recipe card below to rate it ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
📖 Printable Recipe
A perfect blend of buttery, caramel blondie base with the sweet and salty bar mix. Bursting with roasted peanuts, chocolate chunks, and pretzels, these bar mix blondies will become a fast favourite!
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chunks
- 1/2 cup broken pretzel sticks + a couple of extra
- 1/2 cup roasted peanuts
- Prepare a 9x13 baking dish by lining with parchment paper, leaving the extra overhang the side. Spray the exposed baking dish and the parchment paper with cooking spray or brush with butter.
- Beat the butter and sugars together. Add the eggs one at a time, and the vanilla, beating well after each addition.
- Whisk the salt and baking soda into the flour, then add the dry ingredients to the wet. Stir until combined, but do not overmix.
- Stir in the chocolate chips, then fold in the pretzels.
- Press the batter into the prepared baking pan.
- Put the entire baking pan into the fridge, uncovered, and chill for at least 30 minutes, up to an hour.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350f.
- Once the batter is done chilling, gently press the extra pretzels into the top of the batter.
- Bake the blondies at 350f for 40-45 minutes, until the edges are golden and a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean or mostly clean. We want the middle to be ever so slightly undercooked as it will continue to cook while the blondies are cooling.
- Remove the blondies from the oven and cool in the baking tray on a wire cooling rack for about an hour before removing from the pan. To easily remove, simply lift the parchment paper sling we created in step 1.
- Slice the blondies into the desired size and serve!
Store these bar mix blondies in a cookie jar or other airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days, or in a freezer zip lock bag in the freezer for up to 3 months.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
KitchenAid KSM150PSER Artisan Tilt-Head Stand Mixer
Rold Gold Sticks Pretzels
Dry Roasted Peanuts
Toll House Semi Sweet Chocolate Chunks
Light Brown Sugar
Domino Sugar, Granulated, 4LB Canister
Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Extract, 4 ounces
Pure Organic Ingredients - Aluminum Free Baking Soda
SaltWorks Mediterra Mediterranean Sea Salt, Coarse Grain, Artisan Pour Spout Pouch, 16 Ounce
King Arthur Flour, All Purpose Unbleached Flour
PAM Original Cooking Spray, 6 Ounce
PaperChef Parchment Paper for Baking: Multipurpose Nonstick Parchment Roll, Oven Safe, No Grease or Butter Needed, Ideal for Cooking and Roasting, Biodegradable, Kosher-Certified (205 sq ft roll)
9x13" Glass Baking Dish
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 491Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 77mgSodium: 486mgCarbohydrates: 59gFiber: 2gSugar: 35gProtein: 7g