This sweet and spicy smoked Chex mix recipe is a new household favourite! We've combined a sriracha caramel with a hint of smoke for an out of this world smoked party mix.
Keep your friends close and your snacks closer
Whoever declared that definitely lives in a house with a couple of kids! I swear my kids think whatever is on my plate or in my hand is fair game.
Pretty sure I haven't eaten a whole cookie to myself before their bedtime in like 10 years. I mean, don't they know there's no WE in snacks?
This Traeger chex mix, though, I whipped up just for me. Any maybe Kevy. He does love sriracha. The little bit of after-burn on this sriracha caramel smoked Chex mix is just enough to deter my kids!
This smoked chex mix recipe is dedicated to Mom and Dad snacks.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Tips + tricks
No 1. --> Cook the sriracha caramel sauce in a medium to large saucepan. There isn't a huge quantity, BUT once you add the baking soda, it will foam up!
No. 2 --> Use a chafing pan! We found stainless steel chafing pans at a local restaurant supply store. I scooped up a few different sizes for our smoker. The tall sides and large surface area of my big food pan work like a dream!
Cereal: This recipe combines rice Chex and Life cereals. I find them to be the perfect little squares and the ribbed texture really holds on to that sweet, sweet sriracha caramel! I've also swapped in honey nut Cheerios for part of the Life cereal!
Pretzels: I prefer round pretzels to rods in this recipe. They add an incredibly crunch and a salty hit that's oh so good in this recipe!
Nuts: I used peanuts, pecans, and almonds. These are not the only nuts to use, they can be substituted in part or in whole by any nuts using a 1:1 ratio, but I do recommend using the peanuts for sure. Peanuts + sriracha caramel is oh so yummy!
Sriracha caramel: This is a standard butter brown sugar caramel, but with a sriracha twist. This sauce is simply incredible.
How to make smoked chex mix
- Simmer the butter, sugar, corn syrup, and sriracha for 3-4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toss the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Whisk the baking soda into the sriracha caramel sauce.
- Pour the caramel sauce onto the dry ingredients.
- Transfer the spicy Chex mix into a large baking pan or chafer pan.
- Smoke on your pellet grill for 60 minutes.
- Cool completely before breaking into bite sized pieces.
Don't have a smoker?
Have no fear! This recipe can be made in the oven. Follow all the directions, and instead of roasting in the smoker, simply bake this spicy sriracha Chex mix in the oven!
This delicious smoked party mix is easy to store - it keeps well in an airtight container or ziptop bag at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.
I can almost certainly guarantee your sweet and spicy chex mix won't last that long though!
Traeger Smoker - Can't have a smoker recipe without a smoker! We splurged for an electric smoker last year, and life has changed for us, friends. We are changed people.
Kevin and I have nothing but good things to say about our Traeger Timberline 1300 and would recommend it to anyone in the market for a pellet smoker!
Chafing pan - I've talked about these in a ton of my recipe posts. They are big, and cheap, and easy to clean. Chafing pans rock!
Love smoked snacks?
Try my other smoker recipes:
LOVE THIS RECIPE?
Use the stars in the recipe card below to rate it ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
📖 Printable Recipe
For the party mix:
- 3 cups rice Chex
- 3 cups Life cereal
- 2 cups pretzels
- 1 cup peanuts
- 1 cup almonds
- 1 cup pecans
For the sweet sriracha caramel:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sriracha
- 1/4 cup corn syrup
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Preheat smoker to 200f.
- Combine the Chex, Life cereal, pretzels and all the nuts in a large bowl.
- Add the butter, brown sugar, sriracha. corn syrup and salt to a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-low.
- Meanwhile, grease a large sheet pan lightly with oil.
- Simmer the sweet sriracha caramel for 3 minutes - then whisk in the baking soda. It will foam up, just keep whisking until completely combined and the foam dies down a bit.
- Pour the caramel over the party mix and quickly toss to coat.
- Dump the party mix into the greased pan - trying to keep the depth even.
- Smoke at 200f for 40 minutes, then increase temperature to 300f for 20 minutes. Don't stir or disturb the Chex mix.
- Remove from smoker, and allow to cool before breaking into smaller chunks and storing in airtight containers.
This delicious smoked snack is easy to store – it keeps well in an airtight container or ziptop bag at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.
DON’T HAVE A SMOKER?
Have no fear! This recipe can be made in the oven. Follow all the directions, and instead of roasting in the smoker, simply bake the Chex mix in the oven!
Serving Size:1/4 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 171Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 361mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 2gSugar: 10gProtein: 3g