As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
These crushed candy cane cookies are perfect for your Christmas cookie plate! You'll love that they have double chocolate, both semi-sweet and white chocolate, and candy cane chunks.
Of all the things she can't do, I'm surprised baking cookies is one of them.
We grew up in a house with delicious, homemade food for every meal. I mean, my mom is a stellar cook.
But damn, she bakes crappy cookies. Sorry, Mom. Ha
Don't worry, my youth was not lost on crappy cookies. My younger sister Kate is kind of a cookie monster. As soon as she was old enough, she took on the Cheif Cookie Baker position.
Let me tell you about Kate's chocolate chip cookie recipe. HOLY SHIT - it's perfection. The batter is like silky, velvety deliciousness. Sometimes I eat more raw cookie dough than actual cookies, salmonella be damned.
I created these candy cane cookies on the perfection that is Kate's base recipe. You need to bake these cookies. Don't wait.
This recipe is dedicated to my sister, that beautiful cookie monster.
This truly is a Christmas cookie. Don't look at the ingredient list or the nutrition info. Just make them, eat them and be merry <3
- Brown sugar
- HOT water
- Baking powder & baking soda
- Candy Canes (duh!!)
- Semi sweet chocolate chunks
- white chocolate chips
How To Make Chocolate Chip Candy Cane Cookies
- Preheat oven, and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Beat butter, sugar, eggs, and hot water until completely smooth.
- Whisk dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Mix dry ingredients into wet, mix until completely combined.
- Fold in chocolate chunks, chips and crunched candy canes.
How to crush the candy canes:
There may be an easy way to crush candy canes with a heavy rolling pin, which is a totally awesome option, but I wanted to do candy cane chunks!
I left all the candy canes in their wrapper, and cracked all them by hand, in approximately 1/3 - 1/2" sections. Then, I'd unwrap the candy canes, and pour the chunks and the crushed remainders into a measuring cup.
Stand mixer. I love my stand mixer - it gets a major work out, and never stops performing!
Baking sheet. A good baking sheet makes better cookies.
Parchment paper. The candy canes are going to melt in the oven. They will get kinda stuck on your cookie sheet - make life easy, and use parchment paper!
Cookie scoop. I love drop cookies as much as the next guy, but buying a cheap cookie scoop (that I still have and use!) years ago was a cookie life changer.
Wondering if you can make these cookies ahead? If you've been reading my blog for a while, you know I'm 100% here for "make the mess once and eat 10 times"!
You can definitely make these candy cane cookies in advance! Here are your 2 options, and both make sense depending on which situation you're in!
Option 1: Freeze the dough
Start by making the cookie dough. Sample it to see how delicious. Sample it again, just to be sure. Then using your cookie scoop, scoop all your dough onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, no need to space them too much. Place the cookies sheet(s) in the freezer until frozen solid. Transfer the frozen balls to a freezer-friendly container.
When ready to bake, remove the cookie balls from the freezer, and place them on a baking sheet to thaw while the oven preheats. Bake per the recipe!
Option 2: Freeze the Cookies
Bake the cookies as per the recipe, transfer to a wire rack to completely cool. Then place the cookies on a cookie sheet, and place in the freezer until completely frozen, then transfer to a freezer-friendly container.
When ready to serve, remove the cookies from the freezer, and allow to thaw for 10 -15 minutes before serving.
Other Christmas Cookie Recipes You'll Love!
LOVE THIS RECIPE?
Use the stars in the recipe card below to rate it ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
📖 Printable Recipe
Have a happy holiday with these incredible double chocolate candy cane cookies. These cookies are built on a solid chocolate chip cookie base, and feature chocolate chunks, which chocolate, and chunks of sweet, minty candy canes!
- 1 1/3 cups melted butter
- 4 cups packed brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 4 tbsp hot water
- 5 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chunks
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 cup crunched mini candy canes
- Preheat your oven to 375f and prepare a baking sheet by lining it with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Leave the candy canes in the wrapper and using your hands, break them into 1/4 - 1/3" chunks. Unwrap, then pour the contents inot a measuring cup until you hit 1 cup, set aside.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, beat the butter and brown sugar together until smooth. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating in between. Add the water, and mix well.
- Whisk the dry ingredients in a large bowl, then slowly add to the wet ingredients. Mix on low speed until completely combined.
- Then fold in the chocolate chunks, chocolate chips, and crushed candy canes. I do this with the stir setting on my mixer.
- Use your cookie scoop to scoop cookies onto your baking sheet. Bake at 375f for 8-10 minutes - until the bottoms are golden brown. The resulting cookies is quite blonde on top.
- Allow the cookies to cool slightly (2-3 minutes) on the cookie sheet before trying to remove - this will allow the melted candy cane to harden a bit and be easier to remove.
Make Ahead Directions
Freeze the dough
Follow the recipe up to step 6. At this point, scoop the cookie dough onto a baking sheet - no need to space them much. Once you're done scooping, place your cookie sheet(s) in the freezer until frozen completely. After the cookie dough balls are frozen, transfer them to a freezer-safe container or bag until ready to bake.
Freeze the cookies
Bake the cookies as per the recipe then transfer baked cookies to a wire rack to completely cool. Place the cookies on a cookie sheet, and place in the freezer until completely frozen, then transfer to a freezer-friendly container. When ready to serve, remove the cookies from the freezer, and allow to thaw for 10 -15 minutes before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 127Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 18mgSodium: 85mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 0gSugar: 13gProtein: 1g