Looking for a knock-out jalapeno cornbread recipe? Look no further! This easy recipe brings out the best of the pickled jalapenos and mild cheddar for perfectly moist muffins perfect for any meal.
Don't you love when your kid mispronounce a word and it just sticks?
When my daughter was under two she called breakfast breafkist one time. Seven years later, both my kids STILL mispronounce that word from time to time. Now that she's reading, she occasionally mispronounces words that she’s read, but always corrects herself.
Her job, as the reader, is to navigate the grocery list when we’re at the store. Last time we were at the grocery store, she hit jalapenos, she mispronounced it.
We ended up with a beautiful bunch of japaleenos that day.
And when we got home, we whipped up some japaleeno cheddar cornbread muffins.
This recipe is dedicated to japaleenos.
Cheddar Jalapeno Cornbread Muffins Tips:
USE real cheese. Get out the grater, and shred it. The pre-shredded cheese has a starch coating on it that does not perform well in baked goods.
PREHEAT the muffin tin with the oven.
LARD is your friend! I use lard a lot around the kitchen, and especially when I’m cooking with my cast iron, but I shared in my Skillet Cornbread Recipe that lard is the trick to a perfect crust in the cast iron pan, so too is true in the muffin tin.
REST the dough! This gives the baking powder time to activate.
DON’T overcook the muffins. Check them for doneness with a cake tester, clean knife, or toothpick.
I use my smoked salt every time I bake cornbread. I find it adds just a hint of smokiness that is simply divine in cornbread.
This recipe is a variation of my base cornbread recipe. In my opinion, the skillet recipe is perfect, but Kevin insisted I bake him some muffins.
Boy, did I deliver.
What can I say, I am a good wife from time to time! Haha
WHAT’S IN THIS JALAPENO CORNBREAD RECIPE:
- Baking powder
- Honey or maple syrup
- Milk or cream
- Pickled jalapenos
- Shredded cheddar
HOW EASY IS THIS CORNBREAD MUFFIN RECIPE?
Seriously, cornbread muffins are so delicious and so easy to make. Once you’ve made them a couple of times, you’ll just be adding ingredients by memory.
THERE ARE 5 BASIC STEPS:
- Whisk dry ingredients
- Whisk wet ingredients
- Mix together wet ingredients, dry ingredients, jalapeno and cheddar cheese. Set aside
- Preheat oven and muffin tin
- Bake cornbread muffins
Bonus 6th step:
Enjoy the fruits of your labour!
CAN I BAKE THIS IN A SKILLET?
YES! Absolutely you can bake this recipe in a skillet. Please follow the baking instructions on my Skillet Cornbread Recipe!
This recipe makes approximately 18 muffins, which is way too much for us to eat in a reasonable time, so I individually wrap each one in plastic wrap and place inside of a freezer bag. These muffins will keep in the freezer for up to a month.
To thaw, simply remove the cornbread muffins from the freezer, unwrap and allow to come to room temperature for about 30-45 minutes before serving.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH CORNBREAD:
I serve my cornbread with:
- anything off the smoker - like our Root Beer Smoked Beef Ribs, or Smoked Baked Beans by Hey Grill Hey.
- this Chili from Bakerita! Jalapeno Cornbread Muffins are the best side for chili.
- whipped butter, as an appetizer.
I'd love to hear what your favourite meal to serve with cornbread is --> Leave me a comment below!
Are we friends on Pinterest?
These easy cheddar cheesy jalapeno cornbread muffins are the best! Homemade, from scratch, this recipe is easy and produces a moist muffin that your whole family will love!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour or bread flour *see notes
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt, smoked or regular
- 4 tbsp butter, melted
- 1/2 cup honey or maple syrup, melted
- 1 cup of milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup shredded cheddar
- 1/3 cup diced pickled jalapenos
- lard, for greasing
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl, whisking well. Once combined, make a well in the centre of the bowl, and set aside.
- Combine the wet ingredients in a medium bowl, whisking well to ensure the wet ingredients are smooth.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the well in the dry ingredients, add in the shredded cheese and the jalapenos at this time and quickly whisk all the wet and dry ingredients together until just combined. Don't over-mix.
- Allow the batter to sit at room temperature for 20 minutes, meanwhile, preheat the oven to 400f, and place two 12 cavity muffin tins in the oven.
- Remove the muffin tins from the oven and use a small dollop of lard to each muffin cavity.
- Using a muffin scoop, filled 3/4 full, carefully scoop the batter into each greased muffin cavity.
- Bake at 400f for 12-15 minutes or until a cake tester stick comes out of the middle clean.
* Please use a flour that has 12% or higher protein content. Using a flour that has less protein content will affect the finished product. Please see this post for more information: Whole Wheat Bread.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 201Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 35mgSodium: 327mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 1gSugar: 14gProtein: 5g
PIN THIS JALAPENO CORNBREAD RECIPE!