Check out how this Instant Pot apple butter recipe is bringing apple butter into the 21st century. With 4 simple ingredients, you are 30 minutes away from luscious apple butter.
The leaves are changing. I mean, look how fast they've changed in under 2 weeks!
You know what that means?
But seriously, I walked into the grocery store and they have orchard run apples. While I'm certain most apples we get at the store are from an orchard, I'll leave that topic for another day. Orchard run apples are like a pallet-sized box filled with beautiful apples for around $1/lb.
I stocked up. I'm Canadian, that's a hell of a deal. haha.
First on the to-do list?
APPLE BUTTER! What's not to like about apple butter, it's rich, creamy, and tastes as good as leggings and Ugg boots feel.
This recipe is dedicated to the changing of the leaves.
Instant pot apple butter tips + tricks
GET yourself an apple cutter if you don't already have one. It takes seconds to core and chop each apple.
USE 1/2 cup of water. No sense in risking a burn notice! You can always simmer any excess water off at the end.
BROWN sugar is highly favoured for this recipe. It's got molasses and richness and a depth of flavour white sugar just can't match.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
What is apple butter
Apple butter is very similar to apple sauce. Both are cooked apples with added spices and (optionally) sugar. With apple sauce, you stop cooking once the apples are soft but retain a small amount of texture. Whereas. apple butter has you cooking the apples much longer - until the sugars present caramelize and the apples turn into a velvety rich creamy caramel spread.
Apple butter ingredients
Apple butter could not be easier to make, plus you're likely to have all in ingredients in your cupboard!! Here's what's in it:
How to make apple butter in the instant pot
This no-peel apple butter recipe isn't any different than any other apple butter recipes except that the Instant Pot really makes it incredibly quick and easy.
- Chop the apples and add them along with the water to your Instant Pot.
- Set to high pressure and cook for 20 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender, or transfer the apples to a blender and blend till smooth.
- Add in the spices and sugar.
- Heat on sautee mode until thickened as desired.
- Bob's your uncle.
How to store homemade apple butter
Yes, your apple butter needs to be refrigerated. But that's ok, it's easy to throw it in a mason jar and store in the fridge. It will still be delicious and spreadable straight from the fridge.
How to use apple butter
I absolutely love apple butter. It's amazing spread on toast, or on a slice of fresh homemade bread!
But here are some other awesome apple butter uses:
- Caramel Apple Butter Popcorn
- Drizzled on ice cream!
- In thumbprint cookies
Love fall flavours?
Try these recipes:
If you love this post
Please give it a star rating in the card below and leave a comment. This helps me to create more content you enjoy!
📖 Printable Recipe
Fall means apple season. Apple season means apple butter season. Learn how this apple butter recipe is bringing apple butter into the 21st century by using an Instant Pot. With 4 simple ingredients, you are 30 minutes away from luscious apple butter.
- 4 large apples
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Core and chop the apples.
- Add water to the pot of your Instant Pot. Add apples on top.
- Close lid and set valve to sealing. Cook on high pressure for 20 minutes.
- Allow pressure to release naturally.
- Using an immersion blender or by transfering apples to a standard blender, blend until smooth.
- If using a standard blender, return apples to the pot.
- Add brown sugar and spices. Stir to combine.
- Set Instant Pot to sautee low, and allow the sauce to thicken, stirring regularly. Transfer sauce to mason jars for storage.
- Store the apple butter in the fridge when not in use.
Apple butter will keep in the fridge for 2-3 weeks. Or in the freezer for 2-3 months.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 13Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 0gSugar: 3gProtein: 0g