This Next Level Mashed Potatoes recipe is simply the best! They are made with red skin potatoes, rosemary, white cheddar, sour cream and the result is creamy twice baked goodness.
Mashed potatoes will always remind me of family dinners – they were a staple on our table. And of my sister and I squabbling over the chair. Do you know the one? It was the chair that was more desirable than all the others.
Every chair is different, but they are all the same. Maybe it was covered in a pretty floral pattern that was only pretty by 1970’s standards. Maybe it was the chair at the head of the table with arms that made you feel like a king. Or maybe it was wooden and you could reach through the back slats to feed the dog your broccoli.
But they are all the same. The one chair all the kids want.
We have the chair in our house. It’s the middle one. It’s been so well used and dibs’d that it kind of wobbles and I’m scared to let company sit on it. At this point, my kids have a complex custody agreement regarding the chair that confuses even me, the queen ruler over the dinner table.
This recipe is dedicated to family dinners and the chair.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THIS MASHED POTATO RECIPE:
LEAVE the skins on. Just do it. It’s less work, since you don’t have to peel, and they are just yummy.
BAKE them. You’ll be tempted to stop after the mashing, but the second baking introduces what Kevin calls crispy bits of goodness into this recipe.
USE full-fat sour cream. The best part of mashed potatoes is the rich, creaminess. Using full-fat dairy makes them ultra-creamy.
SUB dill for rosemary if you aren’t a rosemary fan.
IT’S hard to nail down exactly how much milk you’ll need because there are some variables, so I used the range that works for me. Don’t be afraid to add less or more than the recipe shows. The milk just adds to the creaminess.
THERE is no butter in the main recipe, but you should DEFINITELY add it to the top of your potatoes. Potatoes and butter are just right.
CAN THESE POTATOES BE MADE AHEAD?
YES! These potatoes are awesome fresh or made ahead! Because of the second baking, they are the perfect candidate for prepping a day or two before hand.
I don’t know about you, but I love prepping in advance if we are hosting a big dinner, and these potatoes are an excellent option.
IF you’re going to make these in advance, I would cook them a little longer – closer to 45 minutes and covered for the first 20.
Let’s connect: Follow me on Pinterest <3
This Next Level Mashed Potatoes recipe is simply the best! They are made with red skin on potatoes, rosemary, white cheddar, sour cream and the result is creamy twice baked goodness.
- 4 red potatoes - unpeeled
- 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup green onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup aged white cheddar, shredded
- 1/4 cup full fat sour cream
- 1/2 - 1 cup milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350f
- Wash and coarsely chop the potatoes, and place into a large bowl with the rosemary. Pour the olive oil on top of the potatoes and toss to coat.
- Spread the potatoes in a single layer on a heavy rimmed baking sheet.
- Roast the potatoes for 35-40 mins, or until they are easily pierced with a fork. Turn the potatoes at least once.
- Remove potatoes from oven and transfer to a heatproof bowl.
- Mash the potatoes well. Add the onions, cheddar, sour cream and 1/2 cup of milk. You may need to add more milk to get to the creamy consistency desired, it just depends on how large your potatoes were and how dry they got in the oven.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer to a baking dish and bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes.
- Serve hot. Enjoy the carbalicious deliciousness!
TO MAKE AHEAD:
- Follow steps 1-7.
- Transfer to an oven safe baking dish, cover tightly with tin foil, and store in the fridge until ready.
- Bake at 350f for 20 minutes covered.
- Remove tin foil cover, and bake for another 20-25 minutes at 350f until heated through.
- Non-Stick Mega Large Cookie Pan / Baking Sheet
- Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil by Sky Organics 1
- Ayesha Curry Home Collection Stoneware Square Baker, 8-Inch x 8-Inch, Cream
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 290 Total Fat: 10g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 17mg Sodium: 154mg Carbohydrates: 41g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 3g Protein: 8g