A simple roasted beet salad and goat cheese salad loaded with candied pecans and sliced red onions. Plus a really easy brown sugar vinaigrette.
I don't share a lot of salads on Crave, but I really should.
This beet salad is similar to one that I had years ago at a winery in Kelowna, B.C. and it was so delicious, I couldn't help but recreate it. I've been keeping this recipe close to my heart ever since.
This roasted beet goat and cheese salad recipe is dedicated to BC reds.
Tips + tricks
No. 1 --> Roast those beets! I've been a staunch advocate of roasting beets for years. Roasting brings out a flavor and caramelizes the sugars in the beets in a way that boiling cannot. Check out my easy roasted beets recipe to learn more.
No. 2 --> If you can't find candied pecans, use roasted pecans, but this recipe really benefits from the sweetness that a candied pecan provides. I've got a candied pecan recipe too!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
How to make
- Start by layering the greens in the bottom of your salad bowl.
- Then add in some chopped roasted beets.
- Spread the red onion around the bowl.
- Add the candied pecans.
- Sprinkle with crumbled goat cheese.
- Drizzle with vinaigrette.
This salad is best eaten fresh but if you want to prep this salad for a potluck or a large meal, you can definitely do that!
If I'm not going to be serving it for a day or so, I will prepare everything, like roasting and chopping the beets, candying the pecans, and making up the vinaigrette. Once all my ingredients are prepared, I package them individually in prep containers and keep them all together in my fridge.
When ready to serve, I simply build out my salad! This ensures everything stays fresh and delicious.
You might be interested in these!
📖 Printable Recipe
This beet salad is a colorful and vibrant salad, filled with spinach, candied pecans, creamy goat cheese and zippy red onions.
for the salad:
- 4 cups spinach or arugula
- 1 cup chopped roasted or canned beets
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/3 cup candied pecans
- 1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
for the brown sugar vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Add all the ingredients for the vinaigrette into a mason jar and shake until completely combined. Set aside.
- Build the salad in layers, first with the greens, then beets, onion, pecans and goat cheese.
- Drizzle the vinaigrette over the salad and serve.
This salad can be prepared in advance but is best assembled just before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 300Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 7mgSodium: 295mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 6gSugar: 17gProtein: 9g