Learn how we modified a Green Mountain Grills (GMG) pizza oven to fit our Traeger so that we could have wood-fired pizza too! This easy hack is a game-changer for making homemade smoked pizza.
"You guys have to come over! I got a pizza oven for my smoker!" our friend chattered excitedly on speakerphone.
Kevy and I exchanged familar "start the carrrr" glances.
After a night of incredible pizza, laughs, friendship and MORE incredible pizza, (I mean, I ate so much pizza I hated myself after), we knew we needed our own pizza oven.
And there's always a but. There's NO Traeger pizza oven.
Have no fear! We've modified ours to fit, and it's ahhhmazing.
This tutorial is dedicated to darn good pizza and making it work.
Why buy a pizza oven attachment for your pellet grill?
Sure you could throw a pizza stone on the ole grill and call it good, and that gives good pizza. But a pizza oven gives amazing pizza. This attachment funnels heat from the firebox into the steel pizza oven, using the venturi effect, magic, and some other science I don't pretend to understand, allowing you to achieve temperatures of 650-800f within your smoker. These temps cook a pizza in 2-4 minutes. That coupled with FRESH, homemade pizza dough will literally change your life. Literally.
FIRST THINGS FIRST: This is an UNAUTHORIZED modification as far as both Green Mountain Grills and Traeger are concerned. Crave The Good assumes no liability for these modifications, see our Terms + Conditions for more information. And as always use your common sense when modifying and using any products.
Use this tutorial to adapt the Green Mountain Grill Pizza Oven to your Traeger Timberline smoker. Make wood-fired pizza at home - it's worth it!
- Green Mountain Grill Pizza Oven
- Angle grinder or hacksaw with a metal blade
- safety glasses
- welder's gloves
- flat file
- 100 grit sand paper
- a potholder
- Get your hands on one of those amazing Green Mountain Grill Pizza Ovens.
- Grab a friend, this job is a little easier with help.
- Remove ALL the racks, grease trays, and firebox cover. Place the pizza oven into your Traeger to ensure it fits. Our Timberline fit the pizza oven perfect, BUT the front tabs had to be removed as they wouldn't allow the lid to close completely.
- Remove your pizza oven from the smoker.
- Place the pizza oven right side up with the firebox extension sleeve on the potholder - we don't want to damage the sleeve. We decided to do our work on the floor.
- Put on PPE. Welding gloves, safety glasses etc. Protect yourself from flying sparks!
- Using your angle grinder or hacksaw, cut the front two tabs from the front of the pizza oven, as close to the front plate as possible, without damaging the frame.
- Once the bulk of the front tabs are removed, use your flat file to file any metal burs and to file the remainder of the front tabs until they are flat.
- Use the sandpaper to smooth the tabs. This will ensure there are no barbs or sharp spots to cut yourself on.
- Place the pizza oven in your smoker, and smoke on!
** This is not an approved modification for Traeger OR Green Mountain Grills. Crave The Good accepts no liability for any damages or injuries resulting from the use of this tutorial.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases.