I don’t know why fries get such a bad rap. Truly, they are not that bad. But there’s a caveat to that. They aren’t that bad when prepared properly.
I LOVE home cooking fries. I have a nifty little cutter, just like this, that works awesome for French Fries. A quick peel, rinse, run through the chipper, and soak in cold water before cooking.
That’s the secret to excellent homemade fries, you know? Soaking them in cold water to draw out the starch helps to make the insides soft and fluffy and the outsides nice and crispy. I read it in a magazine years ago, and it’s the truth! It’s a neat little trick I use every time I’m going to fry or roast potatoes. I even soak baby potatoes before I roast them.
While it’s true that sweet potatoes have less starch than regular white potatoes, soaking sweet potatoes helps them crisp up nicely too!
These salty and sweet potato fries were so yummy and they totally hit the spot.
Sweet & Salty Fries
- 3 sweet potatoes peeled and cut
- salt to taste
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- Soak potatoes in cold water for 30-60 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 400F with a non stick baking sheet in the oven.
- Remove fries from water, dry well, and add to baking sheet with coconut oil and salt. Toss to coat before returning to oven.
- Stir fries every 20 minutes for 45-60 minutes - or when golden brown and crispy on the outside and soft inside.