Do you ever get cravings that are totally off the wall with no explaination to why? No, I’m not pregnant, I’m just talking about when you want a food badly, even though it’s not in your regular rotation or something you’d ever think you needed to have?
I do, occasionally. This time it was rice pudding. No matter what I did, or how many days I waited this desire for rice pudding kept coming back. I find this extremely strange, as it’s never been my favourite. I mean, I’ll eat it, but it’s never been on my must have list. Creme brûlée? That’s on my must have list. Chocolate brownies with vanilla ice cream? That’s on my must have list.
Rice pudding is nowhere near there. Which is why when I made it, I was so excited. It was quick, it was easy, and it finally squelched the strong desire!
This recipe is incredibly easy, I actually made it right in my rice cooker, but it can be made on the stove top as well.
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 3 cups dairy free milk, divided. I used Cashew Milk
- 1 tsp vanilla, or scraping from 1/2 a vanilla bean
- 2-3 tbsp honey
- 1/2 cup chopped medjool dates
- Combine rice, 2 cups of dairy free milk, vanilla, honey and dates in bowl of rice cooker.
- Set for white rice cycle, allow to cook until cycle complete.
- Once complete stir in remaining cup of dairy free milk and serve immediately or save in the fridge for later. Can be served warm or cool, I prefer warm!