This week marked the last of the school days for my two. It’s hard to believe that it was just yesterday we were shedding tears because our oldest was heading into kindergarten! And now… She’s reading, writing, spelling, and going into grade 1!
My baby boo, well, he graduated preschool, but he’s still a little tyke and he will be in preschool for one more year (thankfully, for my own mental health!) before he moves into an official classroom.
I’ve got my fingers crossed for an epic summer – days at the lake, sun tans, sun freckles, and summer food!
Aedyn is having a shared lunch at school this week and I am in charge of a main dish. I tried something new, and boy, am I ever glad that I did.
This potato salad is kind of a spin on regular potato salad. It’s still got potatoes and a mayonnaise based sauce, but this one adds a few different flavour dimensions. I think it will be a new regular in our summer rotation.
- 2 lbs baby potatoes
- 1/2 red onion, finely diced
- 1/2 bell pepper, finely diced
- 3/4 cup canned corn
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh chives
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise, I used vegan - but anything will work
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- dash of mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- chopped chives
- crumbled bacon
- In a large pot, bring baby potatoes to a boil in salted water. Reduce to a low boil and cook for 15-20 minutes, or until you can pierce the potatoes with a fork.
- Remove potatoes from stove top, drain and soak in cool water.
- Meanwhile, mix onion, pepper, corn, and chives in a large bowl.
- Once potatoes are cool, cut into quarters, or desired size, and add to onion mixture.
- In a small bowl, mix the mayonnaise, olive oil, squirt of mustard, salt and pepper well. Pour sauce over potato and onion mixture. Toss well to coat.
- Serve immediately, or place in fridge to cool completely.
- Keeps up to 4 days in an airtight container in the fridge!