Remember when I said yesterday that I was potty training. Well, I quit. Again. BUT while I was all stressed out over the potty training situation, I did make myself, I mean – my family, a little treat!
Nothing like coffee and chocolate when you’re stressed, amirite? Or for breakfast. Yeah. I had one of these with my coffee this morning.
What? It’s got avocado in it.
I happened to pick up a large bag of avocados at Costco last weekend when Kate and I were there. They’ve been sitting in my fridge taunting me. Taunting me because when you mix chocolate and avocado together, something magical happens. I’m not even kidding. If you’ve never eaten an avocado based chocolate treat, you’re missing out. I have made avocado mousse (x2), avocado brownies (x3) and avocado smoothies (xn?). You could say I like avocado?
I added candied walnuts to the recipe, because Kevin’s mom always adds walnuts to her baking and I just love that. I’ve talked about Kevin’s mom a lot lately and have made a few recipes that remind me of her in the past couple weeks because I miss her! She and my father-in-law are touring Europe right now and while I’m very jealous, I also miss them a lot! They will be home in a couple days and I am hoping to visit them very soon! I also whipped up a quick and easy ganache. The recipe for the ganache follows the brownie recipe.
- 2 ripe avocados
- 8 oz dark chocolate
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder or cacao powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup strong brewed coffee
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tbsp honey
- Preheat oven to 350f. Prepare a 8x8 baking pan by greasing with extra coconut oil.
- Melt chocolate and coconut oil over a double boiler, or in a heavy bottomed sauce pan over low heat, stirring often.
- Meanwhile, scoop flesh into a food processor and puree.
- Once chocolate and coconut milk have completely melted, slowly pour into avocado puree and process until well combined.
- Add remaining ingredients (except honey and walnuts) one at a time to food processor and pulse to combine between each.
- Add walnuts and honey to a frying pan and heat over medium heat until roasted and fragrant. Fold into brownie batter.
- Transfer to baking pan.
- Bake at 350f for 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Quick and Easy Ganache
- 3 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 3 tbsp chilled coconut cream
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- Mix all ingredients in a small food processor, blender or with a hand mixer.
- Drizze on brownies!
Pin this recipe for later!