I don’t know about you, but I’m starting to get the winter blahs. The snow keeps coming. Then it warms up. Then the wind hits. Then it rains. Then it drops into temperatures that make me wonder why we still live here. Then it warms up again. Then more snow.
I’m ready for spring. That’s saying something, considering I’ve lived here my whole life and know what an Albertan winter looks like. This winter is not my cup of tea.
To combat the blahs I’ve been cooking tons of really yummy soups. This one is no exception.
I’d been craving hamburger soup for a few days. And I’m not really sure why? It’s never been my favourite. In fact, I can only remember my mom cooking it for us once. And myself, not having cooked it ever. But for some reason, I needed to have hamburger soup. I’m glad I did.
Hearty Hamburger Soup
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 white onion diced
- 4 stalks celery chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 bell peppers chopped
- 5 carrots chopped
- 2 large sweet potatoes peeled and chopped
- 1 can diced stewed tomatoes
- 1 can tomato paste
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp parsley
- 1 tbsp Braggs Kelp Seasoning - optional
- Fry beef with aromatics in a large stock pot, once the beef is cooked, drain the fat.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer.
- Cook until veggies are tender but not mush!