Better than your mama’s green bean casserole. Trust. This casserole has all the green beans and fried onions you know and love with a fresh homemade sauce in lieu of soup from a can.
The day we found out, my sister went to their place and cleaned the entire house, and made them dinner. I called and cracked 4.5 Finger Death Punch jokes.
I can see why Kate’s the favourite! HA!
You see, a few weeks ago, just before her birthday, during one of my parents’ many projects, my mom’s finger got crushed in the garage door. It was less than ideal.
As part of her birthday gift, my sister and I got into her garden and started harvesting some of Mom’s bountiful produce. There were 3 rows of beans.
3. Rows. Of Beans.
We had beans on beans on beans.
This recipe is dedicated to all 3 rows.
MY BEST GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE TIPS & TRICKS
CHOOSE smaller green beans if possible, the smaller they are the more tender they tend to be.
SKIP the canned mushroom soup! This is the best green bean casserole recipe from scratch and it’s SO delicious you’ll be glad you made the mushroom gravy.
GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE RECIPE INGREDIENTS:
- green beans
- half and half
- fried onions
HOW TO MAKE GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE WITHOUT MUSHROOM SOUP
It’s really not hard to make this casserole without a can of soup, and trust me you’ll be glad you skipped it! The flavour profile created with this mushroom garlic gravy is fantastic in this dish. It’s just the right amount of richness. This is the best green bean casserole from scratch!
- Blanch the beans.
- Cook down the mushrooms, and make the gravy.
- Combine the beans and gravy, top with fried onions.
- Bake at 350F for 10-15 minutes.
Of course! The beauty of casseroles is that you can prep them ahead of time to ease the prep work pinch on important days like Thanksgiving.
Simply follow the directions, but stop before spreading the fried onions on top of the casserole. Cover the casserole and place in the fridge for up to 2 days. Remove from the fridge an hour before placing in the oven to reheat. Bake at 350F for 45 minutes, then top with the fried onions and bake at 350F for another 15 minutes, or until warmed through.
WHEN TO SERVE FRESH GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE
I’m not a green bean casserole purist. This recipe is SO delicious, I say eat it whenever! If you have the desire to make it, you should eat it any day of the week.
You should also serve it when you’re hosting Thanksgiving dinners because you never know, the people around your table might be green bean purists!
Looking for more Thanksgiving side dish recipes?
Are we friends on Pinterest?
Better than your mama's green bean casserole. Trust. This casserole has all the green beans and fried onions you know and love with a fresh homemade sauce in lieu of soup from a can.
FOR THE SAUCE:
- 3 cups chopped mushrooms
- 1 tbsp butter
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 cups half and half
- salt and pepper to taste
FOR THE CASSEROLE:
- 6 cups trimmed and chopped green beans
- 2 cups French's fried onions, divided
- Preheat oven to 350f.
- Bring a pot of water to boil, once it reaches boiling, add the beans and blanch for 3.5 minutes. Strain the beans and rinse with cold water until beans are cold.
- Meanwhile, in a 10" cast iron skillet, heat the mushrooms and butter over medium heat and cook until the mushrooms start to release their liquid, about 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic to the mushrooms and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour in the skillet, and stir well. Add water and simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and whisk in the cream. Lightly simmer the cream sauce until thickened.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the blanched beans with 1/3 cup of fried onions to the skillet, and toss to coat. Spread the remaining fried onions on top of the casserole.
- Bake at 350f for 15 minutes.
*This casserole keeps wonderfully in the fridge for up to 3 days.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 185Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 20mgSodium: 180mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 4gSugar: 7gProtein: 5g