Is there anything more relaxing after a long day than a hot bath? I think not. Adding essential oils to plain old bath salts turns turns your tub into an aromatherapeutic spa!
Aromatherapy has a long history that dates back to the ancient Greeks, Romans, Egyptians and Chinese civilizations, to name a few. People have been using aromatherapy for many, many, many years to help relieve pain, enhance moods and increase cognitive function. The bonus to using essential oils in the bath is that you're able to inhale the aromas to stimulate limbic system function via the olfactory sense, as well as absorb through the skin into the bloodstream for complete-body wellness.
DIY Aromatherapy Bath Salts
- 2 cups epsom salt
- 1/2 cup sea salt
- 1/4 cup baking soda
- 4-6 drops essential oils - I used Peace & Calming
- Food colouring- optional
- Mix all ingredients in a large bowl.
- If desired, separate 1/3 of the salt mixture into a smaller bowl and add food colouring to dye the salt to your desired colour.
- Layer the salt in the jar, I chose 1/3 white, 1/3 blue and 1/3 white.
- Add 1/2 cup to a hot bath and enjoy!
Do you have a kickass bath salt recipe that you care to share? If you made/are going to make this, what oil or oil blend did/ would you choose and why?