Fall is quickly approaching in our neck of the woods, I mean leaves have been changing and falling for weeks – if not a month or so now. The temperature is chilling off, wind has a bite, the days growing shorter and the nights growing longer. The weather is just going south for winter.
Some days are just soup days. You know what I mean? Yesterday was one of those days. I woke up to thunder and rain and went to bed with rain and thunder.
I decided before I put my feet on the ground that I’d be making soup for supper. I had grabbed a nice big head of broccoli at the grocery store a few days ago for the sole purpose of souping (that’s a word, right?) it.
- 1.5 tbsp butter/ coconut oil
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 cups broccoli, chopped
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 leek, chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk
- salt and pepper - to taste
- 1 1/2 tsp dill
- Heat butter or coconut oil over medium low heat, add onions and garlic and cook until soft and fragrant.
- Add broccoli, and leek, cook until tender crisp, stirring often.
- Add mushrooms, stock, salt, pepper and dill. Bring to a low simmer, and simmer for approximately 10 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, stir well.
- Transfer to a high speed blender with a vented lid, I used my Vitamix , and blend until smooth and uniform.