A few weeks ago, my kids were lucky enough to attend a birthday party at a local hobby farm. We spent the day in the warm sun loving on animals and enjoying good company.
We met a baby ram named Mulligan, he seemed to love Zen, which isn’t a surprise, Zen is pretty much the animal whisperer!
We fed baby goats! They loved the fresh leaves 🙂
We mined for gold with the old trapper who was 107 years old! Zen cleaned up! They kids each got to scoop some rocks and pan for gold. Once they found their gold, they had to hang on to it, and trade it in at the old general store for a special treat!
One of the major highlights of the day was trading in their hard earned gold for a yummy root beer float. Shh, don’t tell anyone but my kids rarely get pop, and, well for that matter, ice cream too! My kids LOVED them, which got me to thinking about a float that I could let them have as a treat and not feel incredibly guilty about!
And then it was born. And it was delicious!
This guilt free summer fruit float is awesome, and definitely healthier than the traditional version BUT, it’s still a treat and full of sugar, so it’s probably best to enjoy it in moderation.
The carbonation in this recipe comes from an awesome sparkling fruit juice – I found it at the Superstore for all you Canadian readers! It’s simply a carbonated fruit juice with no added sugars – don’t worry I checked! This one would work if you don’t have access to President’s Choice products.
Here’s Why it’s healthy
Pineapple contains good levels of manganese, and some vitamins A and C, potassium, calcium, and selenium, but most importantly, Bromelain, which is a phytonutrient in pineapple that contains protein digesting enzymes. Bromelain may also help with inflammatory response within the body!
Guilt Free Summer Fruit Floats
- 3 cups frozen pineapple chunks
- 5 tbsp coconut milk
- 1 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- sparkling fruit juice as required
- In the bowl of your food processor fitted with the S blade, or high speed blender, add the pineapple, and blend until mostly smooth, stoping to scrape down the sides as required.
- Add the coconut milk and honey, and blend again until it reaches a silky smooth soft serve consistency.
- Use immediately, or transfer to an airtight container and freeze - when ready to use, remove from freezer, and allow to thaw slightly and stir until it reaches soft serve consistency before adding to carbonated juice!