I’m not a breakfast eater. I’ve said it a million times. I just don’t do breakfast. I try, occasionally, to have some at work but it always seems like such a hassle. I mean, I like breakfast, I am just not a morning person. So I generally stick to my coffee and eat around lunch time.
Yes, I know this is awful for me, and I know that I should be eating regularly – you don’t have to tell me, of all people. It’s just never a meal that I really ate, or enjoyed!
But sometimes, I’ll be home with my kids and inspiration will strike, and I will have time to make it come to fruition!
This oatmeal is just that. I felt like I wanted a bowl of creamy, rich, and hearty steel cut oats. And it kind of snowballed from there. The whipped coconut cream isn’t really a breakfast food, but what the hell, it’s healthy, so why not?! The peach compote – oh wow. Peaches and earl grey, they are just a match made in heaven, me thinks.
Just look how the whipped coconut cream melts into the hot oats. It’s heavenly.
Steel Cut Oats with Peach Earl Grey Compote
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pot, over medium-low heat. Add the oats, stirring frequently until they darken and give off a faint toasted/nutty smell. Transfer oats into a bowl.
- Add water and coconut milk to the pot, and bring to a boil. Add the oats, salt and vanilla to the water and coconut milk. Return to a boil, then lower heat to low and simmer until thickened and cooked, approximately 15-20 minutes. Stir in maple syrup just before serving.
- Meanwhile, make the compote: add all ingredients to a small pot and heat over medium low until peaches soften.
- Simmer for another 10-15 minutes until water evaporates and liquid is thick and sweet. Remove tea bags before serving.
- Spoon warm oats into a large bowl, top with a dollop of whipped coconut cream and a few peaches with their juice.