The weather here in Alberta is just kind of silly. There’s a saying here – if you don’t like the weather, wait 5 minutes.
It’s been an really warm winter with lowish snowfall, this spring has also been quite warm, but with highish snowfall. I’m not kidding, seems like every day or two we wake up with a fresh 2,4, 6 inches of snow.
The snow is really cramping my style. I am ready for spring. It’s been a LONG winter, even if it has been ridiculously warm. I am ready for longer days, warmer nights, sand, dirty kids, beer on the deck. Popsicles, homemade ice cream, way more salads, green leaves, green grass, and tan lines. I’m also ready for less colds, and more health!
The other day, I was home with a sick kid, or kids, I can’t remember, the days kind of blurred together last week, with whatever sickness had wormed into our home. It was a cold day, the snow was gently falling, and the skies were grey.
It was a day for a soup that warmed the soul. And I’m pretty sure this Gnocchi Sausage Kale soup fit the bill.
Quick tip on the kale, I had a bunch of kale that I chucked in the freezer – I simply removed the ribs and it basically crumbled into perfect sized pieces for the soup!
Gnocchi Sausage Kale Soup
- Heat a large pot over medium heat, add in sausage. Cook over medium, breaking up the sausage into bit sized chunks. Once cooked, set aside.
- Drain all but about a tablespoon of the fat from the sausage, cook onions and pepper over medium heat in sausage fat until tender crisp.
- Add garlic and tomato paste, continue cooking over medium heat until tomato paste darkens slightly.
- Return sausage to pot, adding basil, salt, pepper, broth, and gnocchi, and simmer for 5-10 minutes until gnocchi is tender and floating.
- Add kale and coconut milk, simmer for 10 more minutes until kale wilts slightly and everything is incorporated.