Last weekend, my mom’s entire side of the family got together to celebrate a birthday. Not just any birthday, but my Memere’s 85th birthday. There were tons of us. My Memere, the matriach of my mom’s family, had 7 children. Those 7 children had more than 20 grandchildren – and honestly, I don’t even know how many great- grandchildren there are, as the number is constantly changing.
It was so nice to see everyone who was able to make it. Unfortunately, due to the size of our family, and how spread out we are across the province not everyone was able to attend. Regardless, there had to have been almost 80 people there!
If you were looking for the family into food segue – here it is. With a group that size, we were bound to have some with food intolerances.
One of the little guys has a hard time with refined sugar. A few of us are completely gluten free. Some are dairy free. Katie is allergic to everything. So my mom turned to me. She asked me to make a dessert that was pretty much okay for everyone in attendance.
I used the following recipe to make a pie, but it was so darn good, the kids and I made it again, but reimagined it into parfait cups!
Chocolate Mousse Parfaits
- 1 cup Medjool dates pitted
- 1 cup seeds or nuts
- 1/8 cup shredded coconut
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Chocolate Mousse:
- 2 avocados peeled and pitted
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- Whipped cream:
- 1 can coconut cream - refrigerated 24 hrs.
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 banana sliced
- Process dates, seeds/nuts, coconut, and cinnamon in food processor until a sticky meal forms.
- Transfer to another container.
- Process avocados, coconut milk, maple syrup, and cocoa powder in food processor until a smooth pudding forms.
- Transfer to a second container.
- Make coconut whipped cream by draining off the liquid coconut milk and transferring the coconut cream to the bowl. Whip until smooth and creamy. Add maple syrup and vanilla, whip until combined.
- Layer the ingredients in parfait cups! I went crumble, chocolate mousse, banana, whipped cream, and topped the whole thing off with some shaved dairy free chocolate!