When you’re looking down at an impossibly full bowl of chopped and prepped rhubarb and a mountain of strawberries, and your mind starts whirring into action. That. That is my favourite thing when cooking, when all the sudden you’ve got a creative idea. Then it’s like POW! I need to make this right meow.
And then I did.
If you missed it, I raided Kate’s rhubarb patch and came home with a boat load of it.
Strawberry Rhubarb Swirl Ice Cream
- 3 cans full fat coconut milk divided
- 1/2 cup maple syrup/honey
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp arrowroot starch/ cornstarch
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup Strawberry Rhubarb Chia Jam
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh strawberries
- rhubarb simple syrup optional
- Set aside 1/2 cup coconut milk.
- Add remaining can and one full can to sauce pan, add syrup and salt. Heat, whisking often until mixture is uniform and simmering.
- Whisk remaining 1/2 cup coconut milk and arrowroot starch until combines and stir into coconut milk with vanilla and stir in until completely combined. Cook over medium heat, but do not boil, until thickened.
- Remove from heat and cool for 4-6 hours in the fridge.
- When ready to churn, add ice cream base to ice cream machine. Once it nears doneness, scoop jam and chopped strawberries alternately into the ice cream bowl.
- Return to freezer to set up for a couple hours, or serve like soft serve right away!
- Top ice cream with rhubarb simple syrup if desired!