Keeping with Kate’s obsession with buckwheat flour lately, I created a little bread recipe that makes the most amazing toast! Gluten free, dairy free, egg free bread can be a real bummer to cook and to eat. This bread is not one of those.
This bread is great with jam, peanut butter, almond butter, or dairy free cream cheese! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
It’s got a moist crumb, sturdy crust, and it toasts up like a dream! Oh and, it’s incredibly easy. Don’t worry about the banana, it doesn’t lend much of it’s flavour, I find it helps to keep the crumb moist.
Hearty Oat Bread
- Scant 2 cups hot water
- 1 tbsp yeast
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 1/2 cups oat flour
- 1 1/2 buckwheat flour
- 3 tbsp arrowroot starch
- 2 tbsp egg replacer OR 3 tbsp chia 6 tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Combine water, maple syrup and yeast to bloom, set aside. If using chia eggs, combine chia seeds and water in another small bowl and set aside.
- Add oat, buckwheat flours, arrowroot starch, salt and egg replacer, if using, to a large bowl, whisk well to combine.
- Mash bananas, and stir in vanilla. Add to yeast mixture.
- Add wet ingredients to dry, and mix well.
- Transfer to 2 greased loaf pans, and cover with a damp paper towel. Allow to rise for 1 hour at room temperature.
- Bake at 350 for ~45 minutes